Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Cohen on Hitch

Here's a fine example of why I continue to admire the writings of the New York Times columnist Roger Cohen.

In this piece he eulogizes Christopher Hitchens better than any of the other several journalists' attempts I've read.

I think Hitchens was correct in his belief that religion came to be because of humans' fear of death.  His claim that it is a product of a time when "nobody had the smallest idea what was going on" might be his best contribution to those of us who don't believe in a god who intervenes in the lives of human beings.

I am atheistic on the belief in that kind of god.

I am  agnostic  *("One who holds the view that ultimate reality, as God, is unknown and probably unknowable.") on the belief in a creator of the universe.  The ultimate question is 'Why is there anything anyway?'  "Tis a mystery" and it's good that it stays so.

*Merriam Webster Dictionary definition.

Leanderthal

No comments: