Thursday, August 14, 2008

The March of Times

It had to happen, it was inevitable.

This morning when I checked out the headers of reports and stories online I came across one that grabbed my attention for a rather difference reason. It was not so much about the report as the headline grabber.

It was the online equivalent of a print headline on the website, MSNBC.com. to wit: "U. S. in '50, even older, more diverse."

My dad was born in '03, my mom in '06. Until today that had been sufficient information that they were born in 1903 and 1906.

I guess what jarred me the most, and at the same time released me the most, was the realization, if not the epiphany, that I no longer need to feel accountable for what I did in the last century.

It's not tomorrow, but it's the first reference I've seen in which the writer has felt no need to differentiate between the 1900's and the 2000's.

That likely says more about the readers than the writer, except that the writer is likely of the same generation as the readers.

I am not offended. I'm actually relieved that I no longer need to worry about being brought up on charges by those I've disappointed in my lifetime; that was so last century. Ancient history seems to be more understanding of the flaws of its participants than modern history, which is always written by the victors, flaws be damned.

Leanderthal, Lighthouse Keeper

No comments: