Friday, June 25, 2010

On The Other Hand

I've written repeatedly about the selfishness, greed, contemptuous and condescending behavior of the haves and their effect on the have nots.

Just about when I get head up about this something in my background, perhaps my education at the hands of my parents, teachers and professors, brings me up short, and I hear in my head the admonition that there is nothing new under the sun.

I'm reminded what I have read in the verse, poem, Desiderata. "No doubt the Universe is unfolding as it 'should'." I've always wondered about that as a truth. The use of the word "should" perplexes me. How would the message of the poem be changed if the word used by the poet had been "will"?

One way or the other, I wonder if I should feel chastised for my disappointment in those of my own species, often wishing I could disclaim any membership, or if I should just let it all go.

A kind of solace might be that I'm not the first nor the last to wonder.

Tis a mystery. Existence would be so boring without mystery.

No comments: