Friday, November 28, 2008

Kathleen Parker's Wit and Wisdom

Here's today's must read. That is if, like me, you ever identified with the Republican Party at one time in your life. I have several friends who admit to that.

She talks about the problem of "arm band" religion in the GOP.

She is wise and also witty in her prose. I'm beginning to think of her as being in the same company as Molly Ivins(Lord, I miss her) and Gail Collins. Fine company indeed.

Here's the email I just sent to her.

Dear Ms Parker,

I commend you on your attempts to wake up the GOP. Like W said when talking about small business, "I used to be one". (If he knew what he was doing it would be hilarious.)

But the GOP left me. The word 'conservative' used to have a positive connotation; responsibility, integrity, fiscally sound. Today it has a negative connotation; militant, fundamentalist, hateful, backward looking. It's divisive, stirring the pot to make trouble, all in the name of God. Karen Armstrong wrote about this aspect of religion in "Battle For God". Adjectives which come to mind are those used to describe Jihadist Islam and Ultra Orthodox Judaism.

I'm an Independent because I like to think I vote for people, not a party. I just can't find many people of the GOP party I admire these days. Chuck Hagel and Olympia Snowe are two exceptions which prove the rule.

Until the GOP sheds the image of a party of people who wear religion on their sleeves, but can't find room for it in their hearts, it will become even more marginalized in our society. And that's a shame.

I have come to think of you as being in the company of Molly Ivins(Lord, I miss her) and Gail Collins. And that's fine company indeed. Wise and witty as in, "Let's do pray that God shows Alaska's governor the door".

I'm like, James Dobson, eat your heart out.

I know you're looking over your shoulder a lot these days, but please know that you have fans who are grateful that you are speaking truth to misguided power. I will post a link to today's column on my blog, http://leesvoicecryinginthewilderness.blogspot.com. Keep up the good work. I'm lovin' it.

P.S.
I'm the bass section in our small choir, and we're on pitch and in tune most of the time. We speak and sing religionese in church but simply try to act kindly and decently in public. The only arm bands worn around here are black ones when the Sox lose in the playoffs.

Sincerely,
Leanderthal, Lighthouse Keeper
Cape Cod

No comments: